Saturday, August 19, 2017

Sunday Dinner - Chicken Poppers, Green Beans and Homemade Ice Cream

The hot weather lately has turned Sunday Dinners into mostly no cook affairs -salads, raw veggies, breads, maybe some rotisserie chicken or sliced meat.

I am NOT in any way looking forward to Fall or Winter, and this Summer has somewhat completely sucked and cooking has fallen by the wayside, along with most things representing an orderly life.

I managed to pull it together long enough to make a tasty Sunday dinner of chicken, green beans, fried potatos and ice cream for dessert.

I've had my eye on these sweet potato chicken poppers and they were easy and delicious.  Even The Girl liked them, and the list of food that she likes is very short.

These  Chinese dry fried green beans were also tasty and after we convinced The Boy to try them because green veggies rock, he ate a big helping.

For dessert I attempted to cross something off my mighty life list - make ice cream at home.  When I added this to my list I assumed that one day I would buy an ice cream maker, but that most likely won't ever happen.  I'd seen a few posts this summer about 2 ingredient ice cream that doesn't require an ice cream maker.  You mix a can of condensed milk with whipped cream and freeze it. 
I added some vanilla and a pinch of salt, and mixed in some raspberries from the backyard.  There weren't quite as many berries to pick as I'd hoped, so it wasn't as rasperry-ish as I'd hoped.  The recipe said it would be ready to eat in 5 to 6 hours, and when I checked it right before bedtime at hour 5 it was too soupy to be eaten, so we had to wait until the next night to try it. 

Honestly, it was ok, but I don't know that I would make it again.  Most of it is still sitting in the freezer, and I'm guessing I'll be tossing it out soon.