Tuesday, August 01, 2017

Kale Caesar Salad and a trick to revive stale bread

I have a very on again/off again relationship with kale.  I go crazy for it for a while, with one or two recipes, then get tired of it because I'm only making one or two recipes so I take a break, and then I remember how good it is and crave it all over again.

The kale at the market looked so good I just had to buy a bag, and then on Instagram I saw someones photo of a kale caesar salad, and yes.  YESSSSSSSSSSSS.

I didn't have any romaine lettuce at home, only butter, so it wasn't truly a caesar salad, I suppose, but it was delicious.  

Two things I did that made it the most amazing and I will do all the other times are:

First, after you wash and dry and cut your kale, put it in a bowl, and add a small splash of olive oil, and massage it in to the kale, then let it sit for an hour-ish.  This will tenderize the kale a bit so it's not so tough.

Second, make an insanely wonderful dressing like this one from Simply Recipes.  So good.

That same Saturday market, The Mister bought a baguette from one of the bakery stands for Sunday dinner.  We slacked when we got home and didn't wrap it well enough, and Sunday afternoon I realized it was getting stale.  I turned to Google for help and found such an amazing trick from Bon Appetit - basically drench your bread in water and bake it.  I was hesitant to try it - it seems too kooky - but what did I have to lose?  It worked perfectly, of course.  Brilliant.