Sunday, April 02, 2017

A Tale of Two Cakes

The Mister had a birthday recently, and I accidentally left the cake planning to the last minute.  Whoops.  
I found 2 delicious cake recipes on the internet that I thought were good; 
one was an interesting sounding chocolate cake, and the other was a pumpkin cake.  
I was really leaning towards the chocolate cake because it sounded fudgy and 
delicious, but I knew that he would really rather have the pumpkin cake, as he 
is a fan of all things pumpkin, PLUS, I had a can of 
pumpkin puree, so problem solved.

I ran to the little store by my work and spent a ridiculous and painful 
amount of money on some butter and cream cheese, and that night 
after dinner I went to make the cake except - where was the can of pumpkin?????  
I tore the kitchen apart but didn't find it.  So Plan B, chocolate cake.

I did not need to butter and crumb the pan all the way to the top, apparently.
The cake was easy to make and was pretty tasty - rich and delicious.  A little went a long way.
The Mister enjoyed it, but he was sad about the pumpkin cake, 
so that weekend I bought a can of pumpkin puree and made the pumpkin cake.
What.  A.  Cake.
Moist, tender, perfectly spiced, delicious.
(I skipped the brown butter icing in the recipe and made some cream cheese frosting instead.)

Both were great and I would make them again, but The Mister was especially 
in love with the pumpkin one.  Can't blame him a bit.

Swedish Gooey Chocolate Cake

Pumpkin Cake with Brown Butter Icing