Thursday, March 16, 2017

Book Club - Shrill by Lindy West






"There is not a thin woman inside me, awaiting excavation.  I am one piece.  I am not a uterus riding around in a meat incubator.  There is no substantive difference between the repulsive campaign to separate women's bodies from their reproductive systems - perpetuating the lie that abortion and birth control are not healthcare - and the repulsive campaign to convince women that they and their body size are separate, alienated entities.  Both say, "Your body is not yours."  Both demand, "Beg for your humanity."  Both insist, "Your autonomy is conditional."  That's why fat is a feminist issue."

"As a woman, my body is scrutinized, policed, and treated as a public commodity.  As a fat woman, my body is also lampooned, openly reviled, and associated with moral and intellectual failure."

Brilliant book.  💛