Sunday, January 01, 2017

Roasted Buttenut Squash that - surprise! - no one liked but me, Happy New Year


I am ready to give up on cooking for this family.  The kids are becoming pickier every day, and The Mister and I both agree that we are in a food funk - both of us have low interest in food.  I'm tired of cooking and cleaning and menu planning, and watching my kids reject 97% of what I make.  While I was frantically racing around on Christmas Day trying to get dinner to the table, The Boy marched up and said he wanted to give me a list of what he would and wouldn't be eating for dinner that night.  I shooed him away, more kindly than I wanted to, because The Grandpa was standing there, and told The Boy that I wasn't interested in hearing him criticize my food before it was even on the table.  
Kids!

This was a squash from one of our Thistle Farms orders that I roasted with some garlic, cinnamon, sugar and salt and pepper.  It was delicious, but of course I was the only one who felt that way.

Speaking of Christmas, I hope you had a good one, or a good Sunday, depending on what you do.  Ours was hectic and went too fast, but everyone was happy and healthy, and that is all that matters.  

I'm glad to have 2016 behind us; I always love the new starts in the year; first day of the month, first day of the next season, first day of the year.  I'm hoping to eat better and drop some of these extra pounds that found me in 2016.  I want to read more, get outside more.  I want to be more organized, be more creative.  Practice more yoga.  Pay down some bills.  Laugh more. I want to do some good in the world.  I want to put my head down, focus on what is important to me, and let the other stuff go.  I want to be calm, happy and smile.
I want that for my family too, for them to kick ass in all the ways they want to.
Let's go!