Wednesday, February 24, 2010

FNCCC - Melissa D'Arabian

This week for the Food Network Cooking Club Challenge we had our choice from 3 hosts - Mary Nolan, Masaharu Morimoto, and Melissa d'Arabian. I chose Melissa not only because I watched her win the Next Food Network Star show (they showed it on foodtv here in Canada at the end of last year) and I enjoy that many of her recipes are quick and easy. These words have been showing up A LOT on my blog lately. QUICK. EASY.

I love scalloped potatos but have never made them from scratch, I always buy the boxed mixes and we have both been fine with those. I saw Melissa's recipe for 5-Minute Individual Potato Gratins and they appealed to me not only because I love potatos but also I had every single ingredient needed in my kitchen.


These are pretty quick, all you have to do is thinly slice some potatos, chop some green onion and shred some swiss cheese. I didn't bother to measure out the cheese or cream, I don't think you need to.

The gratins were delicious and took no longer to make and bake than scalloped potatos from a package! We will definitely being having these a lot in the future.



5-Minute Individual Potato Gratins
Melissa D'Arabian

Vegetable spray
2 large russet potatoes, roughly peeled and thinly sliced (I used red potatos and didn't peel them)
1/2 cup grated Swiss cheese (I didn't measure, just sprinkled between the potatos and on top)
2 green onions, finely chopped (I used 4)
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
3/4 cup heavy cream (I didn't measure, just poured some on)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

Spray 8 muffin tins with vegetable spray. Layer potato slices, cheese, and onions into each muffin cup. Season with salt and pepper and top each gratin with 1 or 2 tablespoons of heavy cream. Cover with foil and bake for 30 to 40 minutes, removing the foil halfway through cooking time. Invert gratins onto plate and serve.

7 comments:

NKP said...

These look excellent!
Who knew you could even get potatoes in a box?
I have convinced my daughter (in the city for university) that it takes just as long to make the boxed waffles as it does scratch.
I skipped this week, for some reason Melissa rubs me the wrong way. But I am glad to see she has such a great recipe. Yum!
Minis always seem to taste best. :)

Jenna @ Newlyweds said...

Oh I love Melissa also. And she has wonderfully delicious simple meals, like these. They look fab!

Candi said...

Isn't that a great way to have individual servings? They look really delicious!

Ticia said...

I totally didn't see this recipe. I'll have to give it a try.

Sarah said...

I saw her do this recipe on the Next Food Network Star show. Forgot about it. My kids would dig it. They turn out really cute. It's one of those reicpes you can change a hundred ways because the origial recipe is so simple. Love it! Thanks for cooking with FNCCC~

foodiechickie said...

As my 20 month would say "MMMM!"

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

Funny how those boxes don't always save money or time isn't it.
Love this trick and will have it on my table soon!