Wednesday, February 10, 2010

FNCCC - Jamie Oliver

I know, my last post I talked about eating healthy etc, and here I am with a photo of pancakes and bacon. I can't be blamed though, after a couple of nearly sleepless nights I decided to treat us with pancakes for Sunday breakfast. So really, it's the baby's fault.

But let's blame Sarah at I Blame My Mother as well, for having Jamie Oliver as this weeks Challenge host. I have long wanted to try Jamie's Pancakes USA Stylie. I love pancakes but it's so much easier to use pancake mix from the jumbo bag in the closet than to make them from scratch.

The recipe is pretty quick and easy and the cakes come out very light, as the eggs are separated and the whites beaten until stiff before being folded into the batter. And any recipe that suggests sprinkling bacon on/in a dish is ok with me.



Pancakes USA Stylie
Jamie Oliver

3 large eggs
scant 1 cup all purpose flour
1 heaping tsp baking powder
1/2 cup plus 2 tb milk
a pinch of salt

First separate the eggs, putting the whites into one bowl and the yolks into another. Add the flour, baking powder and milk to the yolks and mix to a smooth thick batter. Whisk the whites with the salt until they form stiff peaks. Fold into the batter – it is now ready to use.

Heat a good non-stick pan on a medium heat. Pour some of your batter into the pan and fry for a couple of minutes until it starts to look golden and firm. At this point sprinkle your chosen flavouring (see below) on to the uncooked side before loosening with a spatula and flipping the pancake over. Continue frying until both sides are golden.

You can make these pancakes large or small, to your liking. You can serve them simply doused in maple syrup and even with some butter or crème fraîche. Or if you choose to sprinkle with a flavouring, try one of these...

fresh corn from the cob
crispy bacon or pancetta
blueberries
banana
stewed apple
grated chocolate
anything else you can imagine...

8 comments:

NKP said...

Yum, so light and fluffy!
I like mine with Greek yogurt, real maple syrup and fresh fruit. But that bacon option has peaked my interest..

Susie said...

That looks REALLY yummy!!

SnoWhite said...

I bet these are wonderful -- especially with fruit! YUM!

Sarah said...

I have no problem being blamed for anything bacon related ;) I hear you about using the mix from the pantry. So easy. But these do look yummy! And topped with bacon, even yummier! Thanks for cooking along with FNCCC.

Candi said...

It's funny how I take things like "pancakes" for granted. I figured everyone ate them :) We like to make ours with blueberries. Frozen work the best since they don't "bleed" too much into the batter when they are cooking up. Looks yummy!

Anonymous said...

Interesting post you got here. I'd like to read a bit more about this theme. Thanx for posting this material.

Gina said...

MMM pancakes with bacon on top...it doesn't get better than that!

Anonymous said...

Hello,

When ever I surf on web I never forget to visit this website[url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips].[/url]Lots of good information here iliketocook.blogspot.com. I am sure due to busy scedules we really do not get time to care about our health. Are you really serious about your weight?. Research displays that about 80% of all United States grownups are either chubby or overweight[url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips].[/url] Therefore if you're one of these people, you're not alone. Infact many among us need to lose 10 to 20 lbs once in a while to get sexy and perfect six pack abs. Now the question is how you are planning to have quick weight loss? You can easily lose with with little effort. If you improve some of your daily diet habbits then, its like piece of cake to quickly lose weight.

About me: I am webmaster of [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips]Quick weight loss tips[/url]. I am also health expert who can help you lose weight quickly. If you do not want to go under painful training program than you may also try [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/acai-berry-for-quick-weight-loss]Acai Berry[/url] or [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/colon-cleanse-for-weight-loss]Colon Cleansing[/url] for quick weight loss.