Saturday, February 21, 2009

Notebook Five - second chances

I can't believe I'm already on 5! This is going by quickly. Ok, book 5. This one makes my hand hurt. This book was all written out by hand, all 193 pages.


This one is a mix of recipes of mine, from cookbooks from the library, and some of my favorite food websites and bloggers. There's also LOTS of healthy recipes - cooking light, canyon ranch, weight watchers. I should really make some of those.


Flipping thru, I don't think I've done a lot of cooking out of this one. Other than my own recipes, and some food blogger ones, most of these are untried. Hmmmm, what do you think I should try next - fried goat cheese with honey? zucchini tart? hoisin meatballs? thai chicken wings? pasta e fagioli?


If you look at the photo below, you can see a big X and possibly make out the words no good on the previous page. That was a Martha Stewart recipe for black beans that was SO BAD. There are no words. The beans went in the garbage, and we went out for dinner. So I was a little nervous that I chose the Martha recipe on the next page to make for this celebration - Spicy Corn and Peppers. What if it sucked too?


Well, fret no more, it didn't! In fact, this recipe rocked. This was such a good dish! Easy to make, and so delicious. It's not really spicy, but you could always jack up the cayenne or add some hot sauce if you wanted to. This is for sure going into regular rotation in our kitchen.

Spicy Corn and Peppers
Martha Stewart

6 servings

2 tb butter
1 small onion finely chopped
1 red bell pepper finely diced
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
salt
1 lb corn kernels
2 plum tomatos chopped
1/2 cup milk

Melt butter and add onion, bell pepper, cayenne and 1 tsp salt. Cook 5 minutes until onion is soft.
Add corn and tomatos and cook for 10 minutes. Stir in milk, remove from heat and serve.

4 comments:

NKP said...

I find Martha recipes to be random, some are great and some just don't work at all. I blame her staff... who probably wrote them anyway!
I would go for the goat cheese with honey and the Thai chicken wings. In fact, do them both and have a party! Now I am hungry..

Sara said...

it has been years since i've made a martha recipe, but i remember a number of failures. this whole project makes me hungry, looking at all these notebooks and recipes. no wonder i'm not losing weight...

Amanda at Little Foodies said...

Who needs to lose weight! She says hiding from herself... ;)

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

This looks perfectly wonderful somehow not your typical Martha recipe.