Thursday, January 03, 2008

Scrambled Eggs and Potato Chips

Here's a fun dish that I can't take credit for - the original idea was by Ferran Adrai (of El Bulli) for a potato chip frittata. I read about it somewhere and it's been stuck in my head for ages.

And then there I was, in the kitchen looking for something to eat. The pickin's were slim so I decided on an egg. And then I remembered Adrai's dish. And then I remembered we had some chips in the pantry.

My choice was between a small amount of Pringles, or Scott's brand new bag of sour cream and onion. I do believe I chose wisely.



I whisked an egg with a bit of water and seasoned it with pepper. I chopped up one green onion and added it to the egg, along with about half a handful of lightly crushed Pringles. You want them fairly small, but not pulverized. Let everything sit in the bowl for 5 or 10 minutes so the chips soften (a thicker chip would need a couple of extra minutes and make sure there's lots of liquid), then scramble it up.



This was surprisingly great! The chips disappeared into the egg, leaving only the light taste of potatos behind. God, if you added an extra egg or two, and tossed in some chopped cooked bacon, you'd have a complete breakfast (eggs, bacon and potatos) all in one dish. How good would that be?

Definitely a fun dish to try, don't you think?

13 comments:

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

Oh please Sara not Pringles! When we sailed across the Atlantic we each one had our one or two foods that had our name on them. Guess which one had my name on it, right away you know it didn't have sugar as the first ingredient.
I think you're really onto something to add bacon!!

Katerina said...

I like this, I remember having a really good potato chip sandwich while traveling.

Dharm said...

Sara,
This sounds really interesting! I must try this soon as my daughter has suddenly decided she LOVES scrambled eggs!

Peabody said...

I am all over this! I love Pringles....and I will definitely add bacon!

Sara said...

Tanna - there is something about Pringles....they are so unnatural, yet yummy.

Katerina - potato chip sandwiches deserve their own post altogether.

Dharm - kids would love this I bet, especially if they see the chips going in.

Peabody - that would be soooo good.

Amanda at Little Foodies said...

I bet this was really good. I love crisp (chip) sandwiches on crappy soft white bread.

Deborah said...

I've never heard of anything quite like this! I'm gonna have to give this a try!

Geggie said...

Oh how I wish I liked Eggs. I just can't do it.

I'm hosting a little contest at my blog if you'd like to participate.

Happy New Year!

Anonymous said...

I am going to have to try this to add to my "potato chip breakfast" repetoire. It reminds me of the Crunchy EggsI have posted.

Dolores said...

Wow... the things I learn reading blogs. This sounds fascinating. And oddly tasty, in a hungover, college dormitory kind of a way.

I'm looking forward to trying it the next time I've got some leftover chips.

Lis said...

How funny.. I have a love/hate relationship with Pringles. I'd say once a year I get the craving, the rest of the time I look at them and just think "eww" and "fake" for some reason. I know, I'm weird.

BUT

That craving? It started up last week so I bought myself 2 cans! hee! So yep, I'll be trying this.. this morning I think!

Have you ever had potato chip cookies? They are SO GOOD!

xoxoxo

Annie said...

What a great idea. Never would of thought of that and I make frittatas all the time.
I always go for eggs when the "pickings are slim" too!!

Rachel Rubin said...

To me, this seems so gross! But it will probably stick in my head for a while too and one day I'm sure I'll end up trying it for myself. Maybe with the buffalo flavored kettle chips!