Thursday, December 07, 2006

Black Bean Couscous Cakes

Here's a link I've been meaning to share with you for a couple of months. I discovered this blog Vegan Taste Test at the end of August. Shortly after that Brook went on hiatus which is really too bad! She's got some great stuff on there.
Her last recipe post is for Black Bean Couscous Cakes. These are absolutely delicious! You should all go check these out, you'll love them.

I made them again on the weekend, but when I went to fry the patties I realized I had forgot to add the binder (corn flakes) and the patties started to fall apart when I tried to flip them. So I did what Brook did when that happened to her; I just broke up the patties and fried it like hash. I think I liked them even better that way. I sprinkled in a bit of cumin and topped each serving with some sour cream mixed with lime juice and pepper. (I also used kidney beans instead of black beans; they are both equally yummy.)
It's hard to make something like this look good, but it tastes good.

Brook, I hope you come back soon. In the meantime, I think I'll have another couscous cake.


Edited to add - The next night I mixed the leftover hash with salsa, heated it up and voila! Taco filling was born. Oh, couscous and beans, is there nothing you can't do?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

We're always looking for new vegetarian recipes to try out, thanks for posting this one, it looks promising! Couscous is one of our favorite things to eat. Yum. :)

Ari (Baking and Books)

urban vegan said...

Looks delicious. I never use couscous for anything but a sidedish--I have no more excuses.

Anonymous said...

It is indeed an interesting site. I thought the potato & roasted garlic puffs, Morningstar meal starters Luzianne "chicken strips", and the 4th of July taters looked excellent and of course the black bean couscous cakes. She does seem serious about breading her addiction.

Pepper said...

I really like FatFree Vegan Kitchen. Not because the recipes are fat free or vegan, but because they look good.

Sara said...

Ari - it's good and you can play around with it, which I love.

UV - hope you try it!

Tanna - yes, I'm hoping she comes back soon.

Pepper - I have that one bookmarked too and although I haven't made anything from it yet, there's lots I want to try.

Brooke said...

I feel the love! Thanks for blogging about my blog and recipes, and I am so glad you liked the couscous cakes. I need to make them again soon! I'll be posting more food stuff soon, so check back!
Yay!