Sunday, January 14, 2007

Cranberry Chicken Salad

I love chicken and fruit together. A restaurant I worked at years ago had a smoked chicken and grape sandwich on the lunch menu. It was heavenly; I could eat them for days. This salad is based on one my Mom told me about, and helped my use up the last of the cranberry sauce from our Christmas breakfast. Depending on how hungry you are, this could feed 2-4 people. The salad is best eaten the day its made, but leftovers (not in my house!) would be ok the next day.


Cranberry Chicken Salad

Dressing:
1/3 cup low fat mayonnaise
1/3 cup low fat plain yogurt
3 tb cranberry sauce
1 tsp grated ginger
1 1/2 tsp curry powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper

Whisk all the dressing ingredients together and let sit while you put the salad together.

Salad:
2 ribs of celery, sliced in half lenthgwise and then diced
4 green onions thinly sliced
1 apple cored and chopped
2 cups cooked chicken breast, chopped
torn lettuce

Mix together the celery, onions, apple and chicken. Pour 3-4 tb of the dressing over the salad and mix gently. Add more dressing to your taste. Pile the lettuce onto the plates and top with the chicken salad. Drizzle more dressing on top if desired.

Any leftover dressing makes a wonderful dip for apple slices and veggie sticks.

Since this salad contains apples and cranberries, both of which are rich in antioxidants, I'm sending this to Cate at Sweetnicks to take part in the ARF/5 A Day challenge.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

With left over chicken = lunch today!

breadchick said...

Sara I am making this for dinner tonight! Will make perfect use of two chicken breasts I broiled yesterday AND looks plenty tasty and low on the fats/calories! Plus, I'll bet I can even get Mr. No Rabbit Food (MBH) to even eat this.

Anonymous said...

Mmmm.... I love chicken salad with fruit in it.

Unknown said...

THis sounds SO good. Yum!

Meeta K. Wolff said...

I love chicken salad with fruit. Cranberries are something I have not tried though. Sounds great.

Lis said...

Yep love the chicken salad with fruit, usually grapes for me. Cranberry is a nice twist :D

Sara said...

Tanna - hope you enjoyed it!

Breadchick - yay! Let me know if he liked it.

Peabody - me too. I am going to try to work fruit into more main courses this year.

Clair - thanks!

Meeta - I was going to add some dried cranberries too, but I forgot.

Lis - the cranberry was surprisingly good.