Monday, June 04, 2007

4 Mexican(ish) Meatless Recipes and a Meme.

I give to you a combination of 4 unfinished posts all about Mexican Food rolled into one super fantastic post. And, they are all meat-free! You're welcome!

-------------------------------------------------------------------

This sandwich easily could have fit in to Sandwich Week!, but it's too late. So it will have to stand on it's own. And it does, very well.

I am a sucker for anything remotely Mexican. I've combined 3 of my favorite Mexican ingredients - guacamole (homemade), salsa (nice and chunky and homemade) and refried beans - into a easy, fast and delicious sandwich.



Cut some nice soft buns in half and pull out some of the soft insides to make a hollow space. Heat up some refried beans (to nice and warm, not screaming hot!) and season them with hot sauce if you want. Spread some of the beans on one side of each bun. Smear some guacamole and salsa on the buns too, close up and enjoy.


-------------------------------------------------------------------

Veggie Burritos

I am still pining away over Maui Taco, and still stewing over the fact I didn't buy their cookbook. So to cheer myself up we made some burritos that were in the end, nothing like the burritos from Maui Taco.


1 cup corn kernels, thawed if using frozen
1 can beans (pinto, kidney, black) rinsed and drained
1 small can chopped green chiles
salsa
rice (cooked with tomato paste and hot sauce added to the water for color and flavor)
sour cream
cheese
flour tortillas


Mix together the corn, beans and chiles. To assemble your burrito, lay some rice down the middle of the burrito. Top with the veggies, salsa, sour cream, and cheese. Roll up your burrito. Don't know how? Here, go watch this video. Fast forward to 2:30 for instructions.


-------------------------------------------------------------------

A couple of months ago my office mates and I went out for lunch. One of the specials was a Mexican Pizza topped with beans, ground beef, cheese, salsa and sour cream. I asked for the pizza without meat. When they brought it to the table they had also left off the salsa and sour cream. I didn't say anything; it was delicious with just the beans and cheese. I told Scott about it and soon after we made our own version.

Mexican Pizza

It's hard to give amounts for something like this, but here is what we did. We spread refried beans on a pre-made whole wheat pizza crust. Use as much or as little as you like. Spread chopped tomatos, green onions and shredded cheese over the top and bake as per the crusts instructions.


When the pizza is done and out of the oven, drizzle it with sour cream and salsa. Serve straight away. (We knew we were not going to eat the whole pizza, so we drizzled the slices individually.)




-------------------------------------------------------------------

This one is tied with the Mexican Pizza for my favorite recipe right now. This recipe is based on a recipe that my Mom gave me a couple of years ago. It's ground beef seasoned with taco seasoning baked with potatos and salsa. I wanted something similar, but without meat. So I came up with this, and frankly I like it wayyyyyy better than the one with meat!

Mexi-Beany Spuds

1 lb new potatos, washed and cut in half
2 tb oil
2 tsp taco seasoning
1 can refried beans
3 tsp taco seasoning
1 small can chopped green chiles
1 1/2 cups grated cheese

Toss the potatos with the oil and taco seasoning. Pour into an 8x8 dish and bake at 400' for 20-30 minutes or until the potatos are tender.



Mix the beans and second amount of taco seasoning together. When the potatos are done spread the beans over the potatos. Top the beans with a layer of chiles, then the cheese.



Bake for another 20 minutes until heated thru and the cheese had melted.


So damn good.

_________________________________________________

Boy I sure do seem to like refried beans.

_________________________________________________

And Emmy from Vegan Diva has tagged me with this Meme - 7 Random Things About Me. 2 memes so close together! Oh why not.

1. I have lived in 2 provinces in Canada; British Columbia and Alberta.

2. I have never been out of North America. I have been to 4 provinces in Canada and 8 states in the U.S.

3. Surely not a sign that I am immature or anything, but I had the chicken pox when I was 19, my appendix out when I was 22 and the mumps when I was 28.

4. I like chocolate. I like cake. I do not like chocolate cake.

5. I love Old Dutch Ketchup potato chips but I hate that they stain my fingers red, so I rarely eat them.

6. I am an only child.

7. I do not have the lobes of my ears pierced. I do have a tragus piercing and a helix orbital piercing.

And now 7 people to tag!

1 Mary, The Sour Dough
2 Lis, La Mia Cucina
3 Mike, Mel's Diner
4 Patricia, Technicolor Kitchen
5 Tanna, My Kitchen in Half Cups
6 Ruth, Once Upon a Feast
7 Anyone else who'd like to take part.

Have a great day!

10 comments:

Judy said...

The food looks awesome, especially the pizza. Mm-mm.

I had the chicken pox when I was 15, over march break. What a bummer, since I only got to miss one day of school and my whole vacation was ruined. Plus, my first day back at school, my crush told me that it didn't look like chicken pox, just really bad acne. Boo.

Sara said...

Judy - I might have to make that pizza again this week....I've got some refried beans in the fridge to use up (surprise, surprise). As for the pox, I guess I was lucky that I was out of school when I had it, that would be traumatic!

Anonymous said...

I'm an only child, too! Looks like we both turned out okay. That ear piercing thing is kinda weird, though. Pretty cool.

Susan from Food Blogga said...

Mmm, I just love Mexican pizza; it's so versatile and great for parties.

Ruth Daniels said...

I love finding unfinished posts. Although, they usually stay that way.

And thanks for passing the meme torch to me. I love those too!

Congrats on also being invited to join the Foodtv.ca's roster of bloggers.

paul kennedy said...

Those potatoes ... oh my. How delicious.

Sara said...

Bethiclaus - weird? no!

Susan - that would be good for a party!

Ruth - thanks for the comment, hope everything is going great in Halifax! Congrats to you too, I read your festival post, looked like a fun day!

KH - they are so good.

Lis said...

squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! I love memes! I'll get on this as soon as I can. =)

Also lovin the Mexican. Could you have been any more creative with the spuds? Hubbs will love that! One of my favorite pizzas is a mexican pizza - yum!

xoxoxo

Lis said...

Oh and a couple other things!

Potato chips and ketchup. ew. :P

And the ear piercings.. how bad did they hurt? I've always wanted the helix orbital piercing but I heard it was like 10x's more painful than the flesh of the lobes..

xoxo

Oh and 1 final thing!! What the hell is it with guys and hoarding hot dogs?

Sara said...

Lis - oh no you DIDN'T just dis my ketchup potato chips! They are gooooooooooood. The ears, they hurt a lot. The sort of pain you remember for ever. Plus they take a while to heal. I don't think I'll get any more, but I do like mine a lot.