Monday, May 15, 2006

Mothers Day Week - Potato Pancakes

Anyone who knows me knows I am a real potato fiend. When I was little, I'd eat them at every meal if I could.
My mom taught me how to use the blender to make these. She'd serve them with sausage or ham, and sometimes on their own for a special breakfast.
Serve with applesauce, sour cream or butter.

Potato Pancakes

2 eggs
1/2 small onion
1 tsp salt
pepper
2 tb flour
1/4 tsp baking powder
3 cups cubed raw potato

Put 1/2 cup of potato, plus all other ingredients in a blender. Cover and process on "Grate" until all the potatos have gone through the blades. Add the rest of the potatos and blend, but leave a little chunky.
Heat pan over medium high heat. Add a splash of oil, and spoon 2-3 tb of batter per pancake. Serve right away.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those are really traditional in Scotland where we know them as Potato Scones and in Ireland where they are known as Potato Farls.

I love them for breakfast!

Anonymous said...

Sara,

That's too funny. Potato pancakes are exactly what we had on Saturday mornings when I was a kid. Everyone loaded them with sour cream and applesauce and I ate mine plain with a bit of salt. Yummy!

Liz

Sara said...

They are my favorite for breakfast too, although I don't have them often anymore.