Saturday, October 22, 2005

Shepherd's Pie



This is my least favorite time of year. I am still clinging to the memory of summer, still willing the weather to stay warm so I can sit on my deck, open the windows all day, wear sandals everyday instead of shoes and socks. Now there is heavy frost outside when I wake up every morning, and all my outside plants are dead. All the summer fruit and produce is gone, and I MUST wear shoes and socks. The only silver lining I can see is that now I can cook some meals that are simply not summer food. Shepherd's pie is definitely one of those dishes.

Shepherd's Pie

3 baking potatoes peeled
1/2 cup milk
2 tb butter
salt
4 cloves garlic minced
1 lb ground beef
1/2 tsp dried rosemary
2 1/2 tb Worcestershire
4 tsp flour
1/2 cup onion diced
1/2 cup carrot diced
1 cup beef, vegetable or mushroom broth
1 1/4 cup canned corn kernels

Boil potatoes until tender. Drain, return to pot and mash with the milk, butter and salt. Set aside.

Heat some oil over medium heat. Add garlic and beef, and cook until beef is browned. Season with salt. Add the rosemary and Worcestershire. Stir and sprinkle 2 tsp flour over the top. Stir again and cook for 2 or 3 minutes. Remove beef from pan. Drain any excess grease.

Preheat oven to 350'

Add the onion and carrots to the pan and cook for 7 or 8 minutes, until veggies are browning around the edges. Add the last 2 tsp of flour and stir. Add the broth. Stir frequently and simmer for another 5 minutes until thick.

Add the corn and the beef and stir well to combine. Add a bit of water if the mixture seems too thick.

Spray a dish with non-stick spray and spread the beef over the bottom. Cover with the mashed potatoes.

Bake for 20 minutes, then put under the broiler for 5 to 10 minutes until top is a bit brown and crunchy. Serve straight away.

7 comments:

Ziz said...

Mmmm...I LOVE shepards pie. This is one of the few recipes that I've seen for it that doesn't have mushrooms. Is that intentional I wonder?

Sara said...

Alicat - I don't think I have ever had shepherd's pie with mushrooms. That would be good though.

Anonymous said...

True, autumn means that winter is just around the corner but enjoying hot meals never tasted better. Like the casserole dish!

Little Mama said...

That looks wonderful. My fiance would be so excited if I made this for him. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Anonymous said...

Isnt it only a shepards pie if it has Lamb in it?

Sara said...

Anonymous - I really don't know. I have seen plenty of recipes for Shepherd's Pie that call for beef. I guess it's whatever you want to put in it.

Ana said...

Love Sheperd's pie. I do not put carrots in my version but I'll try it and will let you know.